Sunday, March 4, 2012

Snacks

We often think of "snacks" as all the unhealthy, prepackaged, processed foods that are scattered throughout the local grocery store.  Typically, the easier and/or quicker it is to eat and the more fancy the packaging is the more unhealthy and damaging to our bodies.  Given our busy schedules and desire to live a healthy lifestyle we all need to find a balance, hopefully one that will be heavily skewed toward the healthy side.

One of my favorite snacks is anything mixed with egg whites.  You name it, various types of vegetables, with spinach, tomato and brocolli being my favorites or throw in some extra protein (ie, meat) to add flavor, my favorites being turkey, chicken, lean ground beef or turkey sausage.  Mix in a little cayenne pepper or other flavorings you may prefer and you have all the ingredients you need for a quick, protein-filled snack.

I bring this up because today I was really feeling hungry after an afternoon at the ball field with my little league team.  Once I got home I grabbed many of the ingredients above, cracked open eight eggs (using two yokes for a little flavor), sauteed some sliced turkey and vegetables and then added the egg whites.  All told, from beginning of preparation to the time I sat down to enjoy my snack it took less than 10 minutes...and I got 45+ grams of lean protein, some great vitamins/minerals from the veggies and something that I really thought tasted great.

3 comments:

  1. Thanks Pinch. I'm working hard to wean myself off of Fritos and Diet Coke. Like most things it's the hard good over the easy bad. I'm going to give this a shot. Query: why are you removing most of the yolks. Should CylonNation be eating mostly whites? Is there something bad about the yolks? I probably ate 10 yokes yesterday alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The yokes are really high in fat/cholesterol and add a significant amount of calories. For example:
      1 Whole Large Egg has 84 calories and contains 6.1g protein, 6.1g fat though still almost no carbohydrates.
      1 Large Egg White is only 17 calories and contains 3.6g protein and almost zero fat and carbohydrates.

      The yoke has a fair amount of additional protein but the fat content is really high. Think about this, you ate 10 yokes yesterday which equals 60+ grams of fat...if you just ate 2 or 3 for some additional taste you drop your fat intake (and cholesterol) by roughly 75%. Given you are trying to "lean down" I would say cut your yoke intake by at least half/two-thirds. If you were doing some serious distance training or trying to add significant muscle mass/strength then the additional yokes would be beneficial as you would need the extra calories/fat for fuel.

      Delete
  2. Great advice. The Cylon is now officially UNYOKED.

    ReplyDelete